This awesome flight is offered only on Thursdays, leaving from Kapalua and Kahului, so seats are few and sell out early. If you are looking to view Hawaii’s only live volcano, from Maui, this is definitely the way to go, so book early and guarantee your seats!
Highlights of Your Maui to Big Island Volcano Plane Tour
- Maui’s only non-stop flight to Hawaii’s live volcano
- All seats are window seats!
- Fully narrated flight by experienced pilot
- Air conditioned jet-prop airplanes built for flight-seeing
- Only 9 seats per flight, 3 flights per week (Thursdays only)
- One morning flight from Kapalua-Kaanapali Airport
- Two afternoon flights from Kahului Airport
- Best of Maui and Big Island in one tour
- View Hana, Haleakala & Maui waterfalls
- View Big Island’s Waipio Valley, Kohala Coast sea cliffs & waterfalls
- Comfortable “first class” seats with lots of leg room
- Only 9 passengers per flight
As you board your jet-prop airplane and take your first class window-seat you’ll know you are in for a treat! The excitement begins as you take off from Kapalua or Kahului airport and start taking in the beauty of Maui’s crystal clear waters. You will fly over Maui’s east shoreline and view its sea cliffs, black sand beaches, waterfalls, rainforest and historical Hana Town, and cross the Aleanuihaha Channel before approaching the island of Hawaii, aka Big Island.
Once there, you will fly over the breathtaking coastal areas of Waipio Valley and Kohala Coast, featuring majestic mountains and sea cliffs, cascading waterfalls and overall unforgettable scenery! Your flight will also take you over historical Hilo Town before heading over to Kilauea Crater, located at Hawaii’s Volcanoes National Park.
Kilauea is the world’s most active volcano, featuring constant changes to its topography. This means every flight is unique as lava flows in and out of lava tubes and open trenches, sometimes all the way into the Pacific Ocean. After enjoying this incredible experience of flying over the live volcano you will get a view of two other volcanos, Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, before flying over the channel back to Maui.
Once on the south Maui shores you will fly over La Perouse Bay, see Makena Beach, lava rocks from Haleakala’s last eruption, over 200 years ago, Molokini Crater, Wailea and Kihei Beaches, before landing back at the airport of origin.
Big Island Air has been a leading provider of scenic flights in Hawaii for decades and has a staff of very experienced tour pilots with 6,000-10,000 hours of flying each. They are not only great pilots, but excellent guides and they love what they do!
Days, Times, and Locations
- Thursdays ONLY
- From Kapalua-Kaanapali Airport: 8 AM
- From Kahului Airport 12 PM & 3 PM
- Duration: 2.5 hours